Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Week 3 in training: New running friends and a house full of sickies

Week 3 of training was a tough one. Taber was out of town in Minnesota for the first half of the week so I was flying solo on mom duty. It was exhausting being on the clock 24/7 with no backup, but I did manage to get 2 runs in during the week and they were both outside which was awesome.

On Saturday I got to do my long run with a friend I met through church who is an awesome marathoner. She just ran her 5th marathon and qualified for Boston, finishing in 3:32!  I really wanted to pick her brain about how to train smarter and get faster. She has 4 kids so she understands the mommy dilemma of making time for training while balancing her family life. Her husband came along too and it was fun talking to another couple who thinks running dates are awesome. ; ) We did 10 miles and it flew by having people to chat with. We had so much fun that we decided to meet up again this Saturday, and this time one of her daughters is watching our kids so Taber can run with us too. I'm so excited to have some new running friends! 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I got back from my run I walked in the door and before I could untie my shoes, Brinley puked the entire contents of her stomach onto the kitchen floor. 


The rest of the weekend was spent taking care of barfing babies. Brinley couldn't keep anything down, not even juice or water. She was devastated because she really wanted to go with Taber and Teya to cut down a Christmas tree but I wasn't going to let her because she was so sick. She cried and cried and told me she felt better. Finally I caved and let her go. She made it through the cutting of the tree but as soon as Taber put her back in the car, she puked everywhere and then passed out.

Poor sick little lady : (

The next morning we started our day with Cam barfing up his entire bottle onto the bathroom floor. 
Launch round 2 of the pukes.

It was a long weekend. We went through a lot of towels, sheets, blankets, and laundry. I'm glad I had a bought a box of disposable plastic gloves, they made the clean up slightly more bearable. ; )

Thankfully the sickies weren't sick for too long.


 Brinley was back in action after 24 hours

 And Cam starting perking up again after 2 days. 

We got our tree set up, and even though it wasn't perfect, 
I logged week 3 in the marathon training books. 

Here's what my training looked like:

Monday: 3.5 miles outside: interval sprints: Avg pace 8:19
Wednesday: 5 miles outside (my friend watched the kids) hauled booty and clocked my fastest 5 miler ever! finished in 40:09, avg pace 8:02.
Saturday: 10 miles outside with our running buddies: avg pace: 8:53

No cross training! Yikes! Wish I could say I was doing better with that this week but so far haven't been able to squeeze it in! Gotta make a goal to get it in next week, we'll see how it goes.

5 comments:

  1. What a week you had. Looks like you got in some great training though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man! You are totally the bomb.com! I can't believe you got any training in at all. Sick kids are the worst when it comes to motivating yourself to run. I'm glad they are feeling better. :) Also... 8:02?!?! DANG GINA!!! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude! Way to go! I can't believe how good you are doing. I think this will be your fastest race yet. I get nothing done when the kids are sick so props to you. Poor little Brinley. She looks so cute asleep on the floor, but it breaks my heart when they get so sick. Glad they are feeling better. Keep up the good work and tell Taber that is an awesome tree. Good job chopping it down and hauling it away. That's so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to to go Bec! You rocked the week, even with puking kidlets. Great running times and awesome pics, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Becca you are such an amazing runner. Can't believe your commitment level with all that going on. And you are getting soo crazy fast! I admire your determination to get faster.. something I've never really put much effort into. Things have been a little crazy lately and I think I only ran Saturday this week, a whopping 4.3 miles at a 9:13 pace... haha oh well. I think I need a race to train for. :)
    I'm so sorry I didn't reply to your msg on FB yet, so I'll just do it here. :) I looked up the pace for a 3:59 marathon and I was like, "Oh yeah, she's got that.":) And yeah, even if you did like 4:10-4:15, you would blow your last time out of the water. I'm excited for ya, here's to some awesome, injury-free training!

    ReplyDelete