Monday, February 6, 2012

Week 12: Food and marathon training

So if you know me, you know that I love food. Like, really really love it. And I would definitely have to say that one of my favorite parts of marathon training is getting to eat so many extra calories every day. After a long run I'm looking at about 1200 bonus calories that get to go in my belly. If I was more disciplined I'd probably use those calories to eat stuff like organic vegetables, whole grains, and lean meats, but mostly I just want to use them for desserts : )

So I made these bad boys the other day and Mmm...mmm... they were good.

 and I ate a fat slice of this heavenly creation

And I've been treating myself to a bowl of ice cream every night for the past straight 30 days or so because it just feels like the right thing to do. 

So yeah, my cute mom called me the other day and was all worried and concerned that I wasn't eating enough with all the running I'm doing, so Mom, I just wanted to assure you that I'm getting plenty of calories, good healthy ones and some naughty little indulgent ones too : )

One thing that has helped me make sure I'm eating enough is the MyfitnessPal app I talked about a little while ago. Originally I used the app to lose the 5 lbs I put on during the holidays, but once I got to my goal weight I started using it to make sure I eat all the calories I burn in my workouts. It's pretty awesome and I just started making my daily food diaries public so Mom, if you want to know exactly what I'm eating you can check it out on there.  : ) And if anyone else is using MyFitnessPal please add me! My screen name is beccarigg. I love having other people on there to motivate me, it's awesome!

Anyway, here's a quick summary of week 12. (Just 6 weeks to go!)

Monday:
5 miles on the treadmill with a 1 incline. avg pace 8:25
30 Day Shred level 2

Tuesday:
8 miles on the treadmill, struggled with this run but finished with an avg pace of 8:36

Wednesday:
30 day Shred level 3 (level 3 is so much harder than level 2!  I was sore for the rest of the week!)
20 minute Pilates

Thursday:
5 miles of interval sprints on the treadmill. Ran 10, 2 minute sprints at a 7:03 pace with 2 minutes in between each sprint for recovery at a 8:34 pace. Avg pace was 7:48. Awesome workout!

Friday:
Ran 13 miles on a new route with my friend Kelly. She took us on some good hills that really kicked my booty. The weather was gorgeous though (loving this mild winter) and our avg. pace was 9:11.

Looking forward to a big 19 miler this week. I have to run it alone so I'm trying to decide if I want to do 9.5 miles out and back, or if I want to do a 2.5 mile loop near my house 8 times. The out and back sounds less monotonous but I get nervous running that far away by myself. Still not sure what I'll do, if anyone has an opinion either way let me know!

3 comments:

  1. Way to go this week Becca! I'm way impressed by the consistency of your training. This wasn't just a short "flavor of the week" deal... you've really gotten into it, and you're reaping HUGE benefits from your dedication! Way to go!

    I did an 18-miler by my self the other week, and like you I didn't want to find myself 9 miles away from home and in desperate need of a porta-potty or something like that. So rather than run a single short loop many times, I picked 3 loops that were roughly 6 miles each that each ended at my house. That way I knew that if I was dying, or needed some water I could always have a pit-stop soon. You've got that awesome 9 mile loop up the hill to the south, then pick another good 4-5 mile loop, then finish off with 1 or 2 of that 2.5 mile loop by your house.

    Good luck! I'll be with you this Saturday with a 19-miler of my own (gulp!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great week :) It's cute that your mom is worried about you. Mine is the same way.

    It depends what makes you nervous about going that far from home. If you want to stash your fuel and water, make small loops. But only if you know you won't be tempted to quit during one of those eight passes by your house. If it is about scary neighborhoods, you could carry pepper spray. Good luck on the 19. You'll be awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is a lot of treadmill miles!! way to go! and those cookies look delicious! good luck with the 19 miler this weekend!

    ReplyDelete