Thursday, July 8, 2010

Maternity Leave

I've been a little absent on this blog lately. I apologize, I guess I was just taking a little maternity leave due to the awful morning sickness I've been experiencing the last few weeks. The good news is, I'm pregnant and 12 weeks along! We're super excited but holy cow! It's really taken it's toll on my ability to run. Before I got pregnant I was reading all these blogs of ladies who ran through their pregnancies. I TOTALLY thought I'd be right there with them, logging at least 9-12 miles a week. (seriously, how hard could that be?) In fact, the first week I found out I was pregnant I was so excited about having a fit pregnancy that I ran every day! I even did a 6 miler that Saturday in 53 minutes. I was feeling good and thinking "Oh yeah, I got this!"

Then week 6 of my pregnancy rolled around and I got steamrolled by the miserable forces of pregnancy nausea and fatigue. I could not for the life of me do anything that resembled exercise. I could barely feed and care for my children, let alone work out! Housework was neglected, dinners consisted of fast food or cold cereal. Things were rough, I'm not gonna lie. I still managed to force myself to run at least once a week (which sounds so pathetic) but really the effort was monumental. So yeah, 12 weeks down and my dream of running through my pregnancy hasn't gotten off to a very good start. In May, the month I found out I was expecting, I ran 55.7 miles. In June, the month morning sickness took over my life, I barely squeezed out 16!! Ugh!

The good news is, I'm heading into my second trimester and starting to feel a lot better. Today I ran 3 miles and even though it was slow for me (29:34) I did it and I didn't feel like barfing afterwards! That gives me hope that I just might be able to get some good consistent running in before I turn ginormous and can't do it anymore. To all you ladies who are running pregnant or who have run pregnant, I salute you! Seriously, I thought you were awesome before but now that I know how hard it is, I'm blown away!

I'll keep you updated on how everything goes. Here's a picture of the little bean and my baby bump, which is more like belly bloat, but whatever, I'm claiming bump! : )

Baby # 3 at 12 weeks

Belly bump at 12 weeks

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Congrats! So when you mentioned you were baby hungry a few posts ago, you were actually just hungry for two?! You look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh congratulations!! I hope you get feeling better soon (and hopefully you should, in the next week or two as you head into your second trimester). Love the bump!!!

    ReplyDelete